Monday, December 8, 2014

To be or not to be essay

      The play Hamlet by Shakespeare is shaped into such a amazing work of art through a few main quotes that help tie up loose ends and thoughts. One of the quotes that stood out to me with great importance is "Too be or not to be". This stood out to me for many different reasons.
       One of the reasons this quote has such a importance to me is because up until Hamlets first soliloquy I was a little lost. His first word were "To be or not To be" I believe there are a couple meanings to this looking back on it. When it first hit my brain I thought he was struggling with depression, and had a inner battle with if he should live or not. He might want to kill himself because of how corrupted his mom and new step dad are.
       Looking back on this quote however I think it also could mean that he was think if he should do it or not. By doing it or not I mean following what his dad told him do. Kill Claudius and leave his mom full of guilt or not to do it. 
    I'm sure their are many more  interpretations, but these are the two I took from it. They helped me clear up why Hamlet was such a dramatic and freaky character. He was dealing with a huge decision and didn't know what to do. I'm sure Shakespeare had other meanings for it, but them again Shakespeare has other meaning for everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment